Brewer's Friend – Homebrew Recipe Builder & Calc. app for iPhone and iPad
Brewing with total confidence. The details make the difference between an average batch of home brew and a truly excellent brew that is repeatable. This app is a beer recipe calculator, brew session tracker, and brew log - all on your iPhone. This application is capable of syncing with the Brewers Friend cloud solution (the application works by itself stand alone, but the sync requires a premium account at the site).
This application is ad free.
Main feature list for version 1.0:
* Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
* Fully supports metric units!
* Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
* OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
* Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
* Tells if recipe matches style.
* Pick the equations and units you prefer.
* No Chill – Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
* Target to the fermentor or to the kettle batch sizes.
* Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
* Tracks what phase the brew is in.
- Adds a brew timer feature.
- Recipe sync with the Brewers Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- Brew session sync with the Brewers Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- User interface updates, sorting of recipes and brew sessions, performance improvements.
- Adds support for: hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section. Improves recipe listing view (shows snapshot indicator, index added).
- Adds stand alone calculators.
- 70 + yeasts added. Brands include: East Coast Yeast, Mangrove Jack, Real Brewers, Siebel Institute, and Brewferm. Make sure to upgrade now if you plan to use these and sync with the cloud. (Sync requires premium account.)
- Adds stand alone calculators: Brix/Plato to SG Calculator and Dilution / Boiloff Calculator.
- Support for batch target kettle mode added for Extract and Partial Mash recipes.
- Cloud sync improvements.
- BJCP 2015 Guidelines added and fixed syncing of styles with cloud
- Updates to ingredient database
- Visual fixes to scrolling and stability in various places
Pros and cons of Brewer's Friend – Homebrew Recipe Builder & Calc. app for iPhone and iPad
Brewer's Friend – Homebrew Recipe Builder & Calc. app good for
A really great app that helps you to create your own great beer recipes and helps out on brew day keeping everything straight. Very intuitive design and easy to use. Only thing I wish it did was give you the options to print your recipe or post it online to a social media outlet. You can link to their website but their website is a paid user subscription based page.
This is my go to app for doing homebrew recipes and planning brew sessions. I recommend this app to all of my homebrewer friends. Highly recommended
The app is great but it needs to have alarm sounds for the timers.
SG calcs are pretty good. I love the ability to calc IBU for your recipe. And it will tell you how close your recipe specs match against styles along with estimated alcohol levels. The cost is negligible compared to brewing a 5 gal batch of beer.
Ive been brewing for a few years started with extract....bottles now with all grain and kegs this app will teach u how to brew better beer if u are like me I love and only brew session IPA and the hopping category is geared for hoppy Brewers
I always formulate recipes with this app since its on my phone and not the pc
Its real time data in my fingertips on brew day
This app is quite helpful when making recipes. It calculates ABV, IBU, OG target FG. Also helps you know if your recipe is true to the style youre aiming for.
Some bad moments
Does less than half of what you can do through the Brewers Friend site. Desperately needs updating
Paid for the app and have to pay for a subscription that is to gave them
This app is great. The IBU calculation seems a little high at times, but that could just be because my hops varieties are on the lower end of alpha acid content. My one big complaint is that you cant make a copy of a recipe (in order to change part of but not all of a recipe), so you either tweak the recipe and hope you have the old recipe written down, or you re-input EVERYTHING, and add your changes.
Useful, but having Snapshot Recipes and regular recipes on the same tab is annoying. Just using a camera icon doesnt cut it. Especially if I have many snapshots of one recipe. Instead of "snapshots" just use brew dates or batch codes or a separate tab for snapshots.
Great app! Love the ease of tweaking recipes on my phone whenever ideas come to me. Worth every penny if youre serious about your beer.
The default app you should have to home brew. Very easy to use.